By Abul-'Abbaas Mooosaa Richardson
Excerpted from the audio lecture 'Affirmation of the Hands of Allaah and His Descending' from the 'Aqeedah Class (Summer '07) based on the Haa'iyyah poem of the famous scholar Ibn Abee Daawood as-Sijistaanee.
From the points discussed:
The Denial of the (Right) Hands of Allaah, interpreting and explaining them away logically instead of sticking to the texts
The lack of evidence for the Ashaa'irah to relegate Allaah's Attributes to Seven, the ludicracy of affirming Sight and Hearing for Allaah yet negating other Attributes
The full lecture explains the following lines of poetry from Ibn Abee Daawood's Haa'iyyah
(10) And certainly a Jahmee will deny His Right Hand as well,
While both of His Hands are giving out all kinds of bounties.
(11) And say: The Ever-Compelling descends each night,
Without asking how, magnificent is the One God and most worthy of praise.
(12) Down to the lowest heaven, granting bounties from His Grace,
As the gates of the heavens are opened and spread widely.
(13) He says: Is there anyone seeking forgiveness who would like to meet a Forgiver?
Or anyone seeking bounties of goodness and provisions, so he could be given (what he requests)?
(14) A group have reported this whose reports are not to be rejected,
But sadly some have went wrong and did not believe them, marring themselves.
Summer Courses 2007 – Masjid al-Furqaan – Toronto, Ontario
Translated by Moosaa Richardson
Edited by Hassan Somali